What is the Boleto Turístico (the Visitors Ticket) exactly?

This is a Ticket which allows you to visit 15 different places in and around Cusco and the Sacred Valley . It is a good investment because it saves you almost half of the money than if you bought the entrance fees seperatily. You can get it at the first place you visit or at the public ministery. The ticket is valid for 10 days. With an ISIC Card you pay only U$ 5.

Do I need a medical and a travel insurance when traveling in Peru?

Yes, we strongly do recommend you to take a medical and a travel insurance in your home country. Al though health care is relatively inexpensive in Peru , you don´t want to have a bad experience when having a traffic accident or something like that.

Is it easy to use internet in Peru?

I nternet cafes are common and most of them have DSL or ADSL fast connections. Explorer, Netscape, and Hotmail are readily available at every internet stop. Expect to pay about 2 1/2 Soles for 1/2 hour of internet time.

Are there ATM machines in Peru? In Cusco?

There are several ATM machines in Peru . However, we do recommend you to arrive with some cash money in case the machines are out of order. Please check with you local bank about the rates they charge for withdrawing money in a foreign country.

How can I change money?

This is very easy in Peru. You can change money (cash US or traveler cheques) at the banks or at the different Casas de Cambio. The exchange rate, at the time of writing, is $ 1.00 equals 3.3 soles. It is also possible to exchange other currencies (e.g. euros) but the exchange rate isn´t that good. In the tourist towns (e.g. Cusco ), the Casa de Cambio are open from 9am till 10pm.

Will I need a visa?

No visa is necessary for most countries (check with the Peruvian Embassy in your home country). The tourist visa you will get when entering Peru will allow you 90 days in Peru . You are allowed a maximum of three 30-day extensions for up 180 days (6 months) in Peru . Each extension will cost you about $ 25.00. You might want to consider just crossing the (Bolivian or Chilean) border, if you need more time in Peru . It'll take you about two days and you'll be guaranteed another 90 days.

Should I apply for an International Student Card?

With an ISIC Card you get discount at several agencies and some Spanish Schools (e.g. AMAUTA Spanish School). There is a $ 25.00 discount when booking the Inca Trail and a $ 5.00 on the Visitor´s Ticket.

What is altitude sickness exactly? Will I get it?

On reaching heights above 3000m, heart pounding and shortness of breath are a normal response to the lack of oxygen in the air. However, for some visitors these symptoms can deteriorate into a conditions known as Soroche (or acute altitude sickness) when you can start to experience headaches, loss of appetite, extreme tiredness, sleeplessness and often nausea. Symptoms usually develop within the first day at altitude, but may be delayed by up to 2 weeks. To prevent Soroche, try to take things easy as soon as you arrive. Once settled in your hotel room have a lie down for a while and drink plenty of fluids. Avoid alcohol, cigarettes and heavy food. Drinking mate de coca (an infusion of coca leaves) may help. If symptoms become more severe and prolonged it is best to quickly seek medical attention and make arrangements to descend to a lower altitude.

What kind of vaccinations do I need for my trip to Peru?

Recommended vaccinations are: diptheria, hepatitis A, polio, rabies, tetanus and typhoid. Yellow fever and malaria is compulsory when visiting jungle areas as Puerto Maldonado or Iquitos.

What can you say about the Peruvian cuisine?

Peru is a fascinating mixture of people from around the world and its food reflects that. Some typical dishes include: ceviche (raw, marinated fish), anticuchos (spiced, grilled beef heart), papa a la huancaina (boiled potato in a cheese and yellow peppers sauce), lomo saltado (beef strips stir fried with red onion, tomato, French fries and cilantro served with white rice) and aji de gallina (shredded chicken in a spiced milk sauce). International foods are available in tourist centres. Peru's famous drink is the pisco sour, a cocktail made with grape brandy, lemon juice, egg white and sugar. Mate de coca (made from the coca leaf) is served in the highlands to help new arrivals acclimatise.

Is the water fit to drink?

Try to drink bottled water when in Peru . Tap water is not safe, it may cause mild abdominal upset. On camping trips the water is purified with tablets or boiled.

Share This